I was fully ignorant of the fact that there is always a battle going on. I’m not talking about the physical unrest, killings and hunger that are going on today at different parts of the world; no. I’m talking about in our minds and in our hearts- daily.
I didn’t realize that when I got saved, it wasn’t automatic. For the longest time, I struggled with the same bad habits, bad decisions, sins of the mind, among other things. Once I got saved, my life became a battle field – where I fought to kill my flesh and it’s desires, and my flesh fought back hard. It was a daily struggle of humility, depending on God, slipping and running back to God for help, desiring to please God, walking in wisdom, etc – until God eventually broke the negative cycles of sin I lived in, and then it got easier to defeat my desires for sin.
This year, I discovered a new kind of battle – and the weapons available for me to war with.
“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,”
II Corinthians 10:3-5 NKJV
Let’s analyze this text for a minute. The scripture says the weapons of our warfare are mighty for
- Pulling down strongholds
- casting down arguments
- Casting down every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God
- Bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ
For the purpose of this blog post, I want us to take note of how each of these four points have direct correlation to our minds.
- Strongholds: There are spiritual strongholds that exalt themselves in heavenly places; there are also strongholds that we have been set in our minds. A stronghold is anything that has established jurisdiction and authority in a place. If you have a stronghold in your mind, you have a mindset, understanding, or view point that you won’t allow the word of God to permeate. For example; a young girl who is taught to be wary men at a young age, will grow up, seeing men as an enemy- eventually, she will have a stronghold in her mind about submission to her husband. This stronghold will manifest itself as assertiveness or an independent nature. But you see, until that woman allows the Word of God to illuminate her thinking, she will not realize that submitting to her husband is a reflection of her ability to submit wholly to God. It starts in the mind.
- Arguments: have you ever had a conversation with someone, and walked away rethinking things you thought you knew? Have you ever replayed an argument in your mind, weighing the points made, etc? Arguments start in your mind- and that’s where they could end too. Sometime, you’ll have a needless argument / conversation, only to find yourself subscribing to the person’s warped mindset.
- Every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God: Where does one retain knowledge? In the mind. “Any high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God” will be working in your mind to keep you from acquiring more knowledge of God. It may be pride, it may be complacency, etc.
- Every thought: Well, this goes without saying, doesn’t it? 😂
The Bible says;
“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God…”
We may be living a physical life- but the way to win the physical life is to war in the spirit – according to the Spirit of God.
I was cooking one day, when burdensome thoughts filled my mind. I was getting discouraged, I was getting overwhelmed, an incredible wave of sadness washed over me and I nearly succumbed to it. Until by God’s grace, I remembered I had something to calm the storm in my mind;
“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27 NKJV
Whatever battle you face, there’s a spiritual weapon for your fighting and winning. Whatever the situation you find yourself in, there’s a solution in God. Run and seek after Him, He’ll equip you to do it.
Accept God’s help (that comes in the form of His gifts) and fight.